COLUMBUS, GA – The Francis Marion University men's and women's tennis teams dropped 7-0 road decisions to Columbus State University squads ranked sixth and second respectively, Saturday afternoon (April 13) in Peach Belt Conference action.
Both Francis Marion squads will conclude their regular-season schedules on Sunday at Georgia Southwestern State University. Due to the threat of rain, first serves for the matches have been moved up to 8 a.m.
The Patriot women are now 13-7 overall and 3-5 in the PBC, while the FMU men drop to 9-9 and 1-7. A victory on Sunday will guarantee the 31st-ranked Patriot men a berth in the conference tournament that Francis Marion will again host at the Dr. Eddie Floyd/Florence Tennis Center, April 19-21. The FMU women have already clinched a spot in the single-elimination event.
Freshmen Eva Zannier gave Francis Marion its best chance at a point in the women's match as she battled hard in a 7-5, 6-3 loss to 63rd-ranked Luise Sachs at the No.4 singles position.
In the men's contest, FMU sophomore William Anth-Forsberg lost a narrow 6-4, 7-6 decision to 29th-ranked Zach Whaanga at No.2 singles, and junior Matheo Espinoza dropped a hard-fought 6-4, 7-5 match to Fabien Asdrubal at No.3 singles.
Women's Tennis Match Results
4/13/2019 at Columbus, Ga. (Walden Tennis Center)
#6 Columbus State 7, Francis Marion University 0
1. #32 Marleen Tilgner (CSU-W) def. Fredrika Regner (FMU_W) 6-1, 6-0
2. #33 Beatriz Lopez (CSU-W) def. Denise Hartmann (FMU_W) 6-1, 6-1
3. Candice Paya (CSU-W) def. Elisa Lang (FMU_W) 6-0, 6-0
4. #63 Luise Sachs (CSU-W) def. Eva Zannier (FMU_W) 7-5, 6-3
5. Noa Davico (CSU-W) def. Nikita Berger (FMU_W) 6-1, 6-1
6. Natalia Kattah Paz (CSU-W) def. Lesshika Vala (FMU_W) 6-2, 6-0
1. Marleen Tilgner/Luise Sachs (CSU-W) def. Fredrika Regner/Elisa Lang (FMU_W) 6-2
2. Beatriz Lopez/Noa Davico (CSU-W) def. Lesshika Vala/Nikita Berger (FMU_W) 6-1
3. #40 Candice Paya/Natalia Kattah Paz (CSU-W) def. Denise Hartmann/Eva Zannier (FMU_W) 6-3
Match Notes: Francis Marion University 13-7 , 3-5; Regional ranking #10
Columbus State 19-3 , 9-0; National ranking #6; Regional ranking #1
Men's Tennis Match Results
4/13/2019 at Columbus Ga. (Walden Tennis Complex)
#2 Columbus State 7, #31 Francis Marion University 0
1. #1 KP Pannu (CSU-M) def. Matt Astell (FMU) 6-1, 6-1
2. #29 Zach Whaanga (CSU-M) def. W. Anth-Forsberg (FMU) 6-4, 7-6
3. Fabien Asdrubal (CSU-M) def. Matheo Espinoza (FMU) 6-4, 7-5
4. #36 Alvaro Regalado (CSU-M) def. Paul Meuwissen (FMU) 5-0, retired
5. #49 Arnold Kokulewski (CSU-M) def. Mauricio Guerrero (FMU) 6-1, 6-1
6. #65 Matei Avram (CSU-M) def. Brandon Sweeney (FMU) 6-1, 6-2
1. #1 Alvaro Regalado/Zach Whaanga (CSU-M) def. #18 W. Anth-Forsberg/Charles Hutchings (FMU) 6-2
2. KP Pannu/Tommaso Schold (CSU-M) def. Matheo Espinoza/Mauricio Guerrero (FMU) 6-2
3. Arnold Kokulewski/Matei Avram (CSU-M) def. Brandon Sweeney/Matt Astell (FMU) 6-4
Match Notes: Francis Marion University 9-9, 1-7; National ranking #31
Columbus State 20-2 , 9-0; National ranking #2; Regional ranking #1