FLORENCE, SC – Sophomore Nikita Berger, a native of Hartsville, contributed a pair of wins to the Francis Marion University women's team and its season-opening 4-0 victory over Newberry College in the opening round of the second-annual City of Florence College Tennis Invitational Tournament, hosted on Friday (Feb. 8) at the Dr. Eddie Floyd/Florence Tennis Center.
FMU (1-0) advances to play Lander University (a 4-0 winner over the University of Mount Olive) in a semifinal match on Saturday morning at 11 a.m. The finals and third-place matches will be played later Saturday at 4 p.m. Admission to the two-day event is free.
Utilizing the new NCAA Division II scoring rules which award a single point for the winner of the majority of the doubles matches, Francis Marion took an early 1-0 advantage with victories at the No.1 and 2 doubles positions. Freshman Denise Hartmann and sophomore Elisa Lang earned a 6-3 win at the top spot, while sophomore Fredrika Regner and Berger posted a 6-0 win at No.2. The Patriots were also leading at No.3 doubles when the match was stopped.
Sophomore Lesshika Vala extended the lead to 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-2 win at No.6 singles and Berger followed with a 6-0, 6-1 victory at the No.5 spot, while freshman Eva Zannier clinched the contest with a 6-3, 6-4 win at No.4.
The young FMU squad – no seniors – is ranked 10th in the latest ITA Southeast Region poll, while Newberry (1-1) is ranked ninth.
Women's Tennis Match Results
Feb 08, 2019 at Florence, SC (Dr. Eddie Floyd/Florence Tennis Center)
Francis Marion University 4, Newberry College 0
1. Fredrika Regner (FMU_W) vs. Elisa Aguirre (NBY) 6-1, 4-6, 1-3, unfinished
2. Denise Hartmann (FMU_W) vs. Frederike Klein (NBY) 3-6, 6-4, unfinished
3. Elisa Lang (FMU_W) vs. Lucy Spice (NBY) 7-5, 1-5, unfinished
4. Eva Zannier (FMU_W) def. Amy Griffiths (NBY) 6-3, 6-4
5. Nikita Berger (FMU_W) def. Lucia Davila (NBY) 6-0, 6-1
6. Lesshika Vala (FMU_W) def. Madison Conwell (NBY) 6-2, 6-2
1. Denise Hartmann/Elisa Lang (FMU_W) def. Elisa Aguirre/Lucia Davila (NBY) 6-3
2. Fredrika Regner/Nikita Berger (FMU_W) def. Lucy Spice/Amy Griffiths (NBY) 6-0
3. Magan Head/Lesshika Vala (FMU_W) vs. Frederike Klein/Madison Conwell (NBY) 5-4, unfinished
Match Notes: Newberry College 1-1; Regional ranking #9
Francis Marion University 1-0; Regional ranking #10
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,5,4)
City of Florence College Tennis Invitational