WILSON, NC – The Francis Marion University women's tennis team lost only two sets en route to a 9-0 road win over Barton College, Wednesday afternoon (Feb. 28) in non-conference action.
FMU ups its record to 5-3, while Barton drops to 2-5. The Patriots will host a trio of Peach Belt Conference matches this weekend: Lander University on Friday at 2 p.m., University of North Georgia on Saturday at 11 a.m., and Young Harris College on Sunday at 11 a.m.
The 13th-ranked doubles duo of junior Marie Krueger and freshman Elisa Lang had to win a tiebreaker to earn an 8-7 victory at the top position and complete a sweep of the doubles matches. They are 7-1 this season in the eight matches.
Sophomore Magan Head (6-1, 6-0) and Lang (6-2, 6-1) quickly gained singles wins to secure the clinching points for the Patriots.
Krueger, who is nationally ranked in Division II singles at No.37, improved her season mark to 6-1 with a 6-3, 2-6, 10-7 victory at the No.1 spot, while senior Sofia Henning remained unbeaten in singles play at 5-0 with a 6-0, 6-1 win at the No.2 position. Junior Anna Wintrich rallied for a 6-7, 6-2, 10-7 win at No.3 and freshman Lesshika Vala won by default at No.6.
Women's Tennis Match Results
Feb 28, 2018 at Wilson, N.C. (BC Tennis Complex)
Francis Marion University 9, Barton 0
1. #37 Marie Krueger (FMU_W) def. Daria Avram (BARTON) 6-3, 2-6, 10-7
2. Sofia Henning (FMU_W) def. Vanessa Sanoja (BARTON) 6-0, 6-1
3. Anna Wintrich (FMU_W) def. Marissa Stevenson (BARTON) 6-7, 6-2, 10-7
4. Elisa Lang (FMU_W) def. Ada Vargas (BARTON) 6-2, 6-1
5. Magan Head (FMU_W) def. Whitney Hamilton (BARTON) 6-1, 6-0
6. Lesshika Vala (FMU_W) def. No player (BARTON), by default
1. #13 Marie Krueger/Elisa Lang (FMU_W) def. Daria Avram/Marissa Stevenson (BARTON) 8-7 (4-0)
2. Sofia Henning/Anna Wintrich (FMU_W) def. Vanessa Sanoja/Ada Vargas (BARTON) 8-3
3. Magan Head/Lesshika Vala (FMU_W) def. Claudia Capellades/Whitney Hamilton (BARTON), by default
Match Notes: Francis Marion University 5-3; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,4,2,1,3,6)