FMU Holds 42nd-Annual Athletic Banquet
Francis Marion University held its 42nd-annual Athletic Banquet on Monday evening (April 23) in the university’s Edward S. Ervin III Dining Hall. Most Valuable Player awards were given in 14 sports. An outstanding cheerleader award and a student-athlete award were also presented.
- Gail Summersett Outlaw Outstanding Cheerleader Award – junior Abby Lee (Florence, SC)
- Men’s Cross Country Most Valuable Player Award – senior Ryan Woloszyn (Taylors, SC)
- Carolyn Bishop Frate Most Valuable Player Award for women’s cross country – sophomore Whitney Wagner (Cullowhee, NC)
- Clifford Cormell Jr. Most Valuable Player Award for men’s golf – junior Sebastian Backlund (Bollebygd, Sweden)
- Joe and Elease Webb Most Valuable Player Award for men's soccer – senior Cameron Mabee (Mississauga, Ontario, Canada)
- Most Valuable Player Award for women’s soccer – senior Lauren Vetock (Pasadena, MD)
- Ashley Lynn Most Valuable Player Award for women’s softball – junior Tristan Faile (Lancaster, SC)
- Lorin Mason Most Valuable Player Award for men’s tennis – junior Alex Caspari (Hurth, Germany)
- Gladys Hite Most Valuable Player Award for women’s tennis – junior Tereza Baranova (Frydlant nad Ostravici, Czech Republic)
- Jerry and Jean Lee Track and Field Most Valuable Player for men’s track and field – junior Ian Wallace (Fort Mill, SC)
- Most Valuable Player for women’s track and field – senior Samantha Smith (Lexington, SC)
- Joseph B. Durant Most Valuable Player Award for women’s volleyball – senior Hallie Legg (North Canton, OH)
- Conyers O’Bryan Most Valuable Player Award for baseball – senior Brock McCallister (Laurel, MD)
- Howard Stokes Most Valuable Player Award for men’s basketball – sophomore Evrik Gary (Camden, SC)
- Carroll Player Jr. Most Valuable Player Award for women’s basketball – senior T.T. Belcher (Raleigh, NC)
- Debra Lee Orander Swamp Fox Academic Award – senior Danielle Parker (Lockwood, MO)
Two of the recipients were repeat honorees: Wagner (2011, 2012) and Backlund (2011, 2012).
Of the 10 FMU athletic teams that keep win-loss records, six registered winning records this past year, and three appeared in national poll rankings. Four teams have an opportunity to earn NCAA post-season bids in the coming weeks.